South East: ‘1000 Companies to Inspire Britain’ 2019 report identifies 146 South East England companies
• 146 South East England businesses are named in this year’s report, second largest regional hub for high growth UK companies
• South East England companies generate £5.7 billion in total turnover, second biggest revenue generating region in the report; average annual revenue growth is 87%
• Companies come from across South East England, including 30 companies based in Surrey, 25 in Hampshire, and 17 in Kent
• Over 10,000 jobs created over past two-year period by featured South East England businesses
146 companies from across South East England are named today in London Stock Exchange Group’s ‘1000 Companies to Inspire Britain’ report, recording an 87% average annual revenue growth rate and generating £5.7 billion in total turnover, the second highest regional total in 2019’s report. Companies come from across the region, including 30 companies based in Surrey (156% average annual revenue growth rate), 25 companies in Hampshire (55%), and 17 companies in Kent (57%).
Featured South East England companies include:
- Aspen Pumps – A market leader in design, manufacture and distribution of condensate removal pumps and ACR ancillaries.
- Ergomed – Provides services to support the development of new drugs and the monitoring of drug safety.
- Grange Park Opera – Professional opera company located in the Surrey Hills.
- Send for Help Group – One of the largest lone worker safety providers.
The report identifies the UK’s most dynamic and fastest growing Small and Medium Sized Enterprises (SMEs). This year’s report features companies from a diverse range of sectors and regions, reflecting the entrepreneurial drive seen across the country. Over two-thirds of the companies appear in the report for the first time, while six firms are making their fifth consecutive appearance.
This year’s report in numbers:
- Overall average annual revenue growth of the 1000 UK companies featured in the report was 108%, up from 70% in 2018.
- Companies from North East England exhibited revenue growth among the highest in the country at 95%, and the number of companies on our list from this region increased by 56%.
- North East England (56%), Wales (15%) and Northern Ireland (12%) companies record the biggest percentage increase in representation since the 2018 report.
- London and South East England continue to have the greatest number of companies, followed by North West England, East of England and the West Midlands.
- The top five industries represented by the 1000 UK companies are Engineering & Construction, Retail, Manufacturing, Information Technology, and Healthcare, accounting for 44% of the overall list.
- The 1000 companies in this year’s report together created 95,827 jobs over the past two-year period, a 39% increase compared to last year’s report.
The Rt Hon Philip Hammond, chancellor of the exchequer, HM Treasury: “Small businesses not only generate over 50% of all private sector turnover in the UK, they also account for 60% of all UK private sector employment. SMEs are the backbone of the UK economy and we are dedicated to supporting these high growth companies to achieve their potential. I congratulate all the companies that are included in this year’s 1000 Companies to Inspire Britain report.”
David Schwimmer, CEO, London Stock Exchange Group said: “Congratulations to all the companies selected for inclusion in the sixth edition of London Stock Exchange Group’s 1000 Companies to Inspire Britain report, which identifies the UK’s most dynamic SMEs. SMEs drive growth, innovation and job creation and are the lifeblood of the British economy. We believe that supporting the growth of these businesses is critical to the UK economy and the creation of a society that works for everyone.”
Claire Dorrian, head of UK primary markets – London and southern region, London Stock Exchange, said: “The 146 South East England businesses featured in our 1000 Companies to Inspire Britain 2019 report capture the spirit of innovation, entrepreneurship and drive that makes them key to the development of the UK economy. Covering a variety of sectors, from opera to healthcare, these companies have created more than 10,000 jobs over the past two years and generated over £5.7 billion in total turnover. We will continue to support the growth of these diverse businesses and champion their achievements.”
A full searchable database of all the companies along with a downloadable pdf of the publication can be found online at 1000companies.com. Links to the 1000 Companies to Inspire Britain 2019 infographics can be found here: UK Snapshot and Crunching the Numbers.
The report is supported by British Business Bank and Cenkos. DueDil is London Stock Exchange Group’s research partner for the report.